Does Chiropractic Work?
Chiropractic has helped millions of people worldwide suffering from all types of problems and not just back and neck ailments.
Research studies have provided scientific evidence showing chiropractic care is not only effective in the treatment of back and neck ailments, but can also provide effective relief with children suffering from ear infections, women suffering from dysmenorrhea (painful menses), and a number of other seemingly “non-spinal” conditions.
Research evidence suggests chiropractic management for low back pain, neck pain, and headache is as good as or better than other forms of conservative medical care.
Back pain…Scientific evidence shows spinal manipulative therapy is effective for chronic low back pain
Bronfort G, Haas M, Evans R, et al. Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report. Chiropractic & Osteopathy. 2010;18(3):1–33. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20184717
Chou R, Huffman LH, American Pain Society, American College of P. Nonpharmacologic therapies for acute and chronic low back pain: a review of the evidence for an American Pain Society/American College of Physicians clinical practice guideline. Ann Intern Med. Oct 2 2007;147(7):492-504. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909210
“Back pain patients are more satisfied with chiropractic care than with medical care.”
Carey TS, Garrett J, Jackman A, McLaughlin C, Fryer J, Smucker DR. The outcomes and costs of care for acute low back pain among patients seen by primary care practitioners, chiropractors, and orthopedic surgeons. The North Carolina Back Pain Project. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:913–917. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7666878
Hurwitz EL. The relative impact of chiropractic vs medical management of low back pain on health status in a multispecialty group practice. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1994;17:74–82. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8169546
Neck Pain… Studies report Chiropractic is more effective than medication for acute and sub-acute neck pain for both short and long term outcomes.
Bronfort G, Evans R, Anderson AV, et al. Spinal manipulation, medication, or home exercise with advice for acute and subacute neck pain. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012;156(1):1–10. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22213489
Hurwitz EL, Carragee EJ, van der Velde G, et al. Treatment of neck pain: noninvasive interventions: results of the Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). Feb 15 2008;33(4 Suppl):S123-152.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18204386
Headache…Chiropractic therapy is effective for treatment and prevention of migraine headaches according to studies.
2 Bronfort G, Haas M, Evans R, et al. Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report. Chiropractic & Osteopathy. 2010;18(3):1–33. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20184717
10 Bryans R, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, et al. Evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with headache. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. Jun 2011;34(5):274-289. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21640251
11 Sun-Edelstein C, Mauskop A. Complementary and alternative approaches to the treatment of tension-type headache. Current Pain Headache Report. 2008 Dec;12(6):447-50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18973739 12. Chaibi A, Tuchin PJ, Russell MB. Manual therapies for migraine: a systematic review. J Headache Pain. Apr 2011;12(2):127-133. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21298314
How Long Will It Take?
While treatment lengths vary somewhat from person to person and from condition to condition, there are a few rules of thumb you can follow.
First, newer injuries, if treated appropriately and immediately, tend to respond to fewer visits assuming that major tissue injury has not occurred. Many of these first time injuries can be effectively managed in as little as 3 to 4 visits. Conditions that have been present for greater than 3 months and recurring conditions are generally more stubborn and difficult to manage. Resolution may require 12 visits or more.
The only sure way to determine how long your treatment will take is to schedule a consultation and/or examination.
For those of you who believe in just waiting for the problem to “go away” on its own – understand that the longer your condition has been around, the more treatments it will eventually require to resolve.
How Much Will It Cost?
New patients seek our care for pain relief from various symptoms, each requiring a unique protocol of diagnostic procedures, treatment and therapy. For every individual treatment, there are just as many insurance plans. No worries, we are here to answer your questions on your first visit.
Why should I choose a chiropractor before a medical doctor for my chronic pain?
Trussville Chiropractic Answers
Top 10 Reasons to Seek Chiropractic Care First…
- Non-invasive should always be your first choice. Dr. Edwards determines if you are a candidate for care on your first visit.
- Chiropractors use x ray and other advanced technology to diagnose your symptoms. Dr. Edwards gives you an unbiased opinion if he determines you may need to see a surgeon.
- Narcotics offer temporary relief. Chiropractors do not prescribe medication.
- Pro-longed use of OTC pain medication can cause stomach ulcers, liver damage and death. Dr. Edwards & team offer a variety of therapies customized to you for natural pain relief.
- Your health is NOT a game of Rock/Paper/Scissors. Traditional medicine offers few options outside of pills and surgery for your pain.
- You won’t need addiction therapy to transition out of care. Dr. Edwards offers you a care plan, his team schedules appointments around your busy life.
- There minimal if any recovery down time with Chiropractic. Dr. Edwards carries products helping you experience less pain including: Back braces, orthotics, tens units, cervical pillows, topical anesthetics, traction devices and more.
- Medication and surgery come with lengthy side-effects. Chiropractic has been proven safer than the risks associated with your drive to your appointment. Dr. Edwards and his team at Trussville Chiropractic encourage you to learn about the risks before proceeding with a healthcare plan.
- There is a reason you’ve not considered Chiropractic. Unlike drug companies, Chiropractors can’t afford BIG MONEY commercials. Dr. Edwards’ mission is to spread the word about chiropractic one patient at a time.
- Smart people know about Chiropractic. “The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.” ~ Thomas Edison
…Smart Patients see Dr. Edwards